MEMO

Austin, TX, United States
Welcome to my blog!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Teaching Speaking (Russian)

It is widely known that in order to learn to speak you need to actually speak, i.e. communicate. Communication takes two to tango, so it is a little difficult to teach students to speak in a proper sense via the Internet unless in is a distant learning with the use of all up-to-date technology. At same time to support Speaking Classes, these link are a great help!
First phrases in Russian - learn how to say your first words in Russian
Video-Audio Dictionary - this link is for revising, since the pace is so quick, at the same time you can go back and forth
Professionally arranged first phrases -BBC is one of my favourite web-sites for learning English. It also teaches you some Russian. Their professional interface makes it even more likeable.
Hilarious kitsch of Soviet Posters and basic Russian- a very captivating way to revise basic vocabulary.
Let's sing Russian Alphabet - Sing it!
This resource contains a variety of links - an entrance with many chances for practice
Cornell's University Web-site - one of the best and my favorite resources . Contains links to multiple task, film-based are of special interest to me.
Phrases for Speaking - I find this useful too. In a very concise manner phrases are grouped under topics.
News of the week in simple Russian - this is unique project of the GWU Russian Professor Robert Robin, who adapts authentic speech with the help of Audacity. This can serve as a home assignement for follow-up discussion. Pre-Intermediate, Intermediate Level
I hope you all find it useful!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, these are all really useful. I've bookmarked Cornell and News of the Week for myself, but I can see working some of the others into an introductory Russian class. Some are definitely geared more toward self-instruction, like the video dictionary, but the dialogue video is great! And all the Soviet posters had me cracking up. They were so random!

    But I really liked The Cornell site. I just wish it had the movies streamed or available on youtube. Dr. Garza's class has really worn me out on trying to find them. Still, their guides are so great, I may just have to buy it, but even a link to a site where they are sold would be helpful!

    Of course, I suppose if it's not for teachers, it's clearly for self-starters.

    I also wouldn't sell short the news site. I think it depends on the questions you ask about the clips whether it is lower or upper intermediate or could even be used for advanced students. I understood a good portion of the Moldovan elections story, but also learned some new words. So I think they're really versatile.

    I posted the pronunciation site, by the way! It's spokenskills.com

    ReplyDelete